Banana bread is a staple of fall in our household. The aroma of baked bananas and vanilla extract is a magical one! This is yet another simple recipe to bake with your AWEsome kid! Here is my FAVORITE banana bread recipe, complete with crumble!
The BEST Banana Bread
4 brown bananas (regular bananas that have spent a little too long on the counter but aren’t bad)
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (homemade or Watkins brand are my preferences)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups flour
Optional 1/2 cup walnuts
- Optional Crumble
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cold butter (cut into small squares)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or over the stove. While that’s cooling, I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer for this, but if you don’t, not a problem! First, mash the bananas in a bowl. You can use a fork to mash them or throw them into the stand mixer with the whisk attachment and let the whisk mash them.
- Once mashed, add butter and mix thoroughly, this way the butter incorporates so when you go to add the egg, you don’t wind up with scrambled eggs!
- Stir in egg, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Whisk on medium until well incorporated.
- Add flour and mix until smooth.
OPTIONAL: Some people like nuts in their banana bread, others don’t. My husband is extra picky so I leave the walnuts out, but feel free to sprinkle those bad boys in there at this point in the recipe!
- Using a bread baking pan, spray the sides with pam spray and then pour the batter into the bread pan.
OPTIONAL: If you’re going to put the optional crumble on the top, mix all of the crumble ingredients into a bowl, using your fingers to mash the butter into the other ingredients to create a flaky crumble. Poor evenly over the top of the bread batter.
- Cook for 50 minutes or until a toothpick or butterknife inserted into the middle comes out clean.